Wednesday, May 29, 2013

When Life Gives You Limes.......




Recently my husband was going to Costco to pick up a couple of things. I needed a couple of limes for some guacamole that I was making. Not wanting him to have to stop at two places, I asked him to pick up limes at Costco. Can I just say, there are A LOT of limes in a bag of limes from Costco. I probably had twenty to thirty limes. Never one to be beaten by an ingredient, I have taken an old saying and modified it to fit my predicament. While making limeaid did put a dent into my limes, this is part one of a three part installment to the lime conundrum. Yes, making a hundred margaritas did cross my mind, but I chose a more original, and sober, path.


Ginger Limeaid

8 or 10  limes, about 1 c. lime juice, with at least 1/2 lime left over to garnish
1 c. sugar
1 2 inch strip of ginger
1 c. water
1 bottle sparkling water

Combine the sugar, water and ginger in a small saucepan. Heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.


While the gingered simple syrup is cooling, juice the limes to make a cup of fresh lime juice. Add the sparkling water to the pitcher. Remove the strip of ginger from the simple syrup and add in the simple syrup to the pitcher. Fill the rest of the pitcher with water. Taste and adjust sugar if necessary. We like a tarter limeaid, so if you know you like sweeter, add in more sugar. Garnish with 1/2 lime sliced thinly in the pitcher.


No comments:

Post a Comment